Monday, December 27, 2010

Top 10 Albums of 2010 - #10 Contra by Vampire Weekend


“Contra” by Vampire Weekend begins with the lyrics:

“In December, drinking horchata
I'd look psychotic in a balaclava
Winter's cold is too much to handle
Pincher crabs that pinch at your sandals”.

It’s beautiful right? But if you said you knew exactly what these lyrics meant, I’d call you a liar. Where else have you heard the words “horchata” and “balaclava” together? Nowhere, that’s where. For those of you who were curious like me: Horchata is an almond-flavored soft drink in Spain and Latin American countries. A balaclava is a close-fitting wool hat that covers the head and neck. For use of these abnormal words and more, Vampire Weekend deserves credit. Deciphering lyrics is not my forte. Fortunately, you do not have to understand what Vampire Weekend is singing about to enjoy their happy, upbeat music. The music and melodies speak for themselves.

I had not heard Vampire Weekend prior to purchasing “Contra” early this year. I saw they were at Sasquatch in an advertisement – I didn’t see them at Sasquatch unfortunately. And I bought their self-titled debut album shortly after. Because I listened to both releases so close together, I must admit I have trouble distinguishing between them. The band however, has a very distinct sound that stays consistent across the two albums – it’s a cross between ska, punk and indie rock. For a band name that could’ve described a morose, moody rock group, Vampire Weekend is remarkably cheerful (and pleasantly surprising if you were expecting morose and moody). At the risk of offending more ardent and long-standing fans, all of Vampire Weekend’s songs fit into one of two moods: upbeat or laidback. Which is fine, because there’s so much the band does with these categories; no two songs sound alike. Sometime’s it’s a change of beats, a mix of percussion or a splash of synthesizers, but Ezra Koenig’s vocals always soar. For me, “Contra” (and “Vampire Weekend”) was a surprise hit of the year.

No comments: