Monday, December 22, 2008

Top 10 Albums of 2008 -- #9 Hideaway by The Weepies

The Weepies are husband and wife duo Steve Tannen and Deb Talan. You may have heard their music in one of several movies or on tv (their songs have appeared on several tv shows, JCPenney and Old Navy ads, and even an Obama campaign ad). I fell in love with their first album, Say I Am You, and the cheerful and infectious sound of "All I Want."

I have to admit that I haven't fallen in love with any of the songs on Hideaway the same way I fell in love with "All I Want." Even so, their second album, released in April 22, 2008, is still a beautiful album. Their website describes it as a "darker companion" to Say I Am You. In many ways, it is darker; songs like "Wish I Could Forget" and "How You Survived the War" take on darker subjects and don't have the carefree sound of most of the tracks on their first album. Seeing the darker side of Steve and Deb is definitely not a bad thing--it makes the album perfect for these snowy or rainy winter days.

As with Say I Am You, The Weepies maintain their unique, folksy sound. The pair is an excellent song-writing team, and their unusual harmonies are equally impressive. My favorites on the album are the opener "Can't Go Back Now," "Hideaway," and the surprisingly upbeat "Just Blue."

Bonus #1: The Weepies website has a clever and fun Christmas greeting to their fans on their site. Check it out here.

Bonus #2: The new video to "Can't Go Back Now" is out and looks a little like something from the Muppets. Check it out.

The Weepies - Cant Go Back Now - The Weepies

No comments: