Sunday, December 21, 2008

Top 10 Newish Songs to Make You Merry

Yesterday I drove from Spokane to Portland. This doesn't sound like such a tremendous feat, and normally it's not. The drive, which I've done many times, usually takes about five or six hours. Yesterday it took me nine. What was the problem? Turns out I decided to drive through at the same time "blizzard-like" conditions decided to hit the Gorge. Despite a somewhat stressful and very long drive, there is a part of me that can't help but get excited and feel Christmas-y when I see trees blanketed and fluffy flakes falling.

The trouble is that sometimes it's hard to get in the Christmas spirit when every radio station just plays the same old (and, let's face it, sometimes obnoxious) Christmas tunes. So, I've compiled a list of my top 10 newish (and hopefully not overplayed yet) Christmas songs*. Although I dearly love some of the old classics too (I could listen to Nat King Cole sing about roasting chestnuts again and again and again), I kept this list to more contemporary artists.

Enjoy and Merry Christmas!

*or newish versions of old songs/hymns.

1. O Come, O Come Emmanuel - Sufjan Stevens
2. Winter Song - Sara Bareilles & Ingrid Michaelson
3. All I Want - The Weepies
4. Let it Snow - Michael Buble
5. Angels We Have Heard on High - Chris Tomlin
6. Mistletoe - Colbie Caillat
7. Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) - Death Cab for Cutie
8. In Like a Lion (Always Winter) - Relient K
9. Song for a Winter's Night - Sarah McLachlan
10. O Holy Night - Shawn McDonald


Mistletoe - Colbie Caillat

1 comment:

Kyle said...

OMG! What a cute picture! You know how to tug at my heartstrings Katie (with dwarf hamsters). Good song picks too, I look forward to downloading a couple of those. I'm also a big fan of Trans-Siberian Orchestra for the same reason - new, original Christmas music, it's a novel concept :) Happy holidays everyone!