Friday, February 6, 2009

thoughts for the weekend...

I may be over-thinking this (I usually do), but is there anything wrong with pausing songs in the middle and then resuming them later - say, to take a bathroom break or pick up a phone call at work? Obviously, that's not how the artist intended for it to be listened to, but interruptions happen, right? That's life. Or should I start the song over each time I try to listen to it? For some reason I feel guilty when I pause some songs and not others. Some songs really lose the tension, build and movement when interrupted but others seem to fare okay, like "Come on Get Higher" by Matt Nathanson; not so much for Aqualung's "Outside".

Also, had to get this off my chest since my post on original scores. I found the score to Revolutionary Road by Thomas Newman to be distracting (not because it interfered with what was going on on screen, but because of how derivative it sounded to his previous works, most notably the score to Road to Perdition - same director and similar title). Every piano riff sent waves of deja vu over me like I'd heard it all before and it wasn't nearly as good the second, third and fourth time around. You know when a composer reuses the same melody line over and over into the ground (a la the Harry Potter series)? That's kind of what it felt like. Disappointing, but at least it didn't earn a Best Original Score nod. WALL-E's soundtrack (also by Thomas Newman) is far superior.

No comments: