Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Top 10 Dave Matthews Band


The thing I love about Dave Matthews Band's music is that there's so much going on; even after hearing their songs a thousand times, I'll hear a new guitar riff or a drum fill - and their recordings are always spot on - I can hear the velocity of Carter's sticks and LeRoi's dynamics on the various wind instruments he plays. Their music is the perfect example of a band that has a distinct sound and variety among their songs. For this list I only used studio albums - they have a plethora of phenomenal live recordings, but that would have added another 100+ tracks to choose from.

1. Crush - Before These Crowded Streets - to date my all time favorite DMB song from my favorite DMB album. I love the jazz influence. There's a radio edit version I've heard - avoid it! The final flute solo, guitar/violin jam is divine.
2. #41 - Crash - actually their 41st song (originally titled "41 Police"), this is my favorite numbered-song-title song of theirs. love the meandering nature, progressions and final transition into the following song on the album "Say Goodbye". Again, LeRoi is magnificent.
3. Rapunzel - Before These Crowded Streets - like most of their music, wonderfully non-mainstream in their rhythm and sequence (who needs a chorus?). Another transition into the next song. Remember when album's were recorded with the intent of listening to them in their entirety and the songs were all part of a cohesive whole? This album is one of the first time's I was exposed to that dying art form.
4. Pig - Before These Crowded Streets - "Is this not enough? This blessed sip of life, is it not enough? Staring down at the ground. Oh, then complain and pray for more from above, you greedy little pig. Stop, just watch your world trickle away. Oh, it's your problem now
It'll all be dead and gone in a few short years." These lyrics could've been in a emo-angst rock song, but they're not. This is one of the most optimistic and inspiring songs I've ever heard.
5. Two Step - Crash - Epic and beautiful. Stefan gets to shine on this song - I really like his bass part during the chorus, 2nd verse and the very end.
6. The Best of What's Around - Under the Table and Dreaming - I kinda feel like this is an underrated song. I've never heard it performed live, and no one seems to talk about it, but I think it's a great kick-off to a virtually perfect album (wait, it is perfect).
7. Ants Marching - Under the Table and Dreaming - I don't think a Dave Matthews Band concert would be complete without this song and Dave and Boyd dueling on the guitar and violin.
8. Tripping Billies - Crash - Carter's always amazing, but he's particularly impressive on this challenging song. The song title is supposedly inspired from a band member's girlfriend telling Dave they sounded like "a bunch of hillbillies tripping on acid". I don't hear it, maybe it was her...
9. Lie in Our Graves - Crash - surprisingly peppy given the title. I love the beat of this song. It's great for road-trips (along with "Drive In Drive Out") and a treat to hear live.
10. When the World Ends - Everyday - it's difficult choosing the last song, there's so many good ones, but I wanted to make sure I included the album Everyday in this top 10, because it really is fabulous, even if it does sound very different from the rest of their albums. Also recommended from Everyday are "So Right", "Fool to Think" and the title track.


Ants Marching - Dave Matthews Band

No comments: