Thursday, August 20, 2009

Top 10 Ingrid Michaelson


Ingrid is quickly becoming the standard by which I measure all my favorite female singer-songwriters: Meiko, Tristan Prettyman, Colbie Caillet, Erin McCarley, even artists who may have been around longer than Ingrid, KT Tunstall, (Leslie) Feist, the list goes on. This just goes to show the overarching influence Ingrid has had on my musical tastes these last few years. Katie introduced me to her music a few years ago and I immediately fell in love with the album Girls and Boys; I don't know if I can accurately describe it, but there's something about Ingrid's songs and her singing (even in recordings, I've sadly never heard her perform live), that sounds so personal and honest. I think there's some musicians who write music for others, the public, and there's musicians who write music for themselves. I don't think either is right or wrong, but I suspect Ingrid is the latter. Her songs are usually reflective and sensitive and always unique and beautiful. Unlike some of the other female singer-songwriters I've listened to, Ingrid has managed to succeed in the daunting task of sounding distinct and yet having variety within her songs. Any musician that accomplishes this challenging feat should be applauded. Admittedly, there's also something magnetic about a woman who plays an instrument, writes her own music and sings. Some presume only women think this way about men who play the guitar or piano, but trust me, nothing is more attractive than a woman who can play an instrument and sing well (yes, they're even sexier than girls dancing in skimpy outfits posing as musicians - you know who you are). iTunes classifies Ingrid as pop, but I think she's the exact opposite, whatever that is, anti-pop, the antithesis of pop, folk, good...



1. December Baby - Girls and Boys - In the last few lists I've written it's been difficult choosing a number 10; on this one, it was difficult choosing a number 1. I adore so much of Ingrid's music, but this one really stands out to me as a well-written, beautiful, sad, love story. And as if you didn't already know I'm a sucker for songs with accelerandos (that is, songs that speed up), I love the accelerando-jumble 4 minutes in, the musical rest and then clarity - it's like a good movie.
2. Far Away - Girls and Boys - Another wonderful narrative. Peppier than "December Baby" but equally brilliant and genuine. I love the verse lyrics and rhymes: "I will live my life as a lobsterman's wife on an island in the blue bay. He will take care of me, he will smell like the sea, and close to my heart he'll always stay."
3. Overboard - Girls and Boys - Being a guy, I don't know if women actually feel this way, but I suspect some do and it seems to me to be a realistic and healthy response to falling in love.
4. Charlie - Slow the Rain - I also really like "Empty Bottle" and "Porcelain Fists" from this album, but this one has received the most listens on my ipod.
5. Starting Now - Girls and Boys - Another, very different portrayal of love, but nonetheless valid and honest.
6. The Hat - Girls and Boys - "I knitted you a hat all blue and gold
To keep your ears warm from the Binghamton cold.
It was my first one and it was too small.
It didn't fit you at all, but you wore it just the same." Aw... first love.
7. Be OK - Be OK - Ridiculously catchy and infectious.
8. Breakable - Girls and Boys - I love how Ingrid's vocal parts surprise me. There's time when she sings a verse or line and I expect the note to go one way (based on listening to so many other artists and melodies) and it goes another way. Her originality is stunning.
9. Keep Breathing - Be OK - Plain and simple a beautifully written song - it's as if the piano and guitar parts are dancing.
10. Turn to Stone - Turn to Stone Single - This song is very new and hasn't withstood the test of time yet but out of Ingrid's most recent singles (see also "Maybe" and "All Love", I think it is the best and gets me very excited for her upcoming album Everybody which comes out next Tuesday, August 25th). Yes, the tempos change during the song :) For those of you who are interested, Ingrid is showcasing a new song from her upcoming album each day leading up the release on her website.

*Bonus video: Ingrid performs a rap remix of her hit single "The Way I Am" on the Bob & Tom show.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What about You and I!?