Thursday, August 27, 2009

Top 10 Rachael Yamagata


Several years ago, I began a personal quest to discover more female musicians to listen to - not just pop stars who could sing and dance, but real musicians who wrote and performed music. When I embarked on this mission, my iTunes library was overflowing with male musicians (many of them from this very series of top ten lists: Ben Folds, Dave Matthews Band, Coldplay, etc.), but female musicians were dismally underrepresented. That's when I came across Rachael Yamagata's album Happenstance and my journey truly began. It is a beautiful, original and stunning album. Between Rachael and Ingrid Michaelson, my love for female singer-songwriters began and my iTunes library reflects it with many more brilliant and talented female musicians. Many people haven't heard of Rachael Yamagata, but if you like other original female singer-songwriters like Regina Spektor, Ingrid Michaelson, Elizabeth & the Catapult, Feist or Kate Nash, you may enjoy Rachael's subtle and soulful songwriting.

1. Collide - Rachael Yamagata EP - Not to be confused with the Howie Day song, this song may not be fit for mainstream radio, but that's okay with me - in fact, that may be why I like it so much. It's strange, experimental and compelling all at the same time. Love the strings at 3:10 and the following piano solo. Great chaos/clarity moment.
2. Worn Me Down - Happenstance - Probably Rachael's most famous single (though still not played that much on the radio), in spite of it's subject matter (heartbreak, cheating), it's upbeat with a ridiculously catchy melody. Definitely one of Rachael's most accessible songs for new listeners.
3. Sunday Afternoon - Elephants... Teeth Sinking Into Heart - Wonderfully arranged, the strings are ethereal. This 9-minute song may be Rachael's magnum opus, it plays like a movement to a symphony.
4. 1963 - Happenstance - One of Rachael's peppier, happier songs (much of her music is somber but gorgeous), another great start for Rachael neophytes.
5. Would you Please - Rachael Yamagata EP - This song gives new meaning to a beautifully sad song. Love the way it was recorded. The guitar and vocals sound amazing as well as the background sounds.
6. Known for Years - Rachael Yamagata EP - "It'd be a shame to make believe, it's better to leave"
7. Under My Skin - Happenstance - An unusual song, the two parts are quite disparate, but it all seems to fit in the end and Rachael sings the bridge stunningly.
8. Letter Read - Happenstance - I like the orchestration in this song. The drum beat, the piano riff, followed by the bass, it has the sound of improvisation. I'm also quite fond of the chorus.
9. I Want You - Happenstance - I just had to listen to the first 10 seconds to know I was going to like this song. Fortunately, the rest of the song is equally interesting and enjoyable. I love how Rachael sings "no one". And any song with a clarinet is okay by my books.
10. What If I Leave - Elephants... Teeth Sinking Into Heart - Like a lot of Rachael's music, this song is subtle and pensive. There are some songs that may be more passionate (even angry), but in this one Rachael seems calm and at peace.


1963 (Album Version) - Rachael Yamagata

1 comment:

Mason said...

Kyle (and or katie),

I work for Brooke Waggoner and was wondering if you would mind emailing me so I can add you to our database so we can send out information to you regarding Brooke and her upcoming release.

Mason
michaelspencermason@gmail.com