Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Top 10 Albums of 2009 - #2 Far by Regina Spektor


I've found that some albums are catchy at first but lose their shine after the first few listens (like for example, Matchbox Twenty's More Than You Think You Are). Others are not so exciting at first but grow on you over time (like Duncan Sheik's Daylight). Regina's latest album, Far, is one of the rare gems that is both immediately satisfying and worthy of repeated listens. The first two tracks, "The Calculation" and "Eet", are instant hits that rope you in to the album, like "Fidelity" and "Better" did in Begin to Hope. They're fun, upbeat and ever-so pop-y. As usual, Regina uses her voice like an instrument, which for me, is one of her strongest appeals; the layering she's able to create with her voice and the other instruments is unlike any other artist I've listened to. After the second track, the album becomes more mature; that is, the music is more deliberately-paced and the lyrics become more introspective and abstract.

It's likely that some songs on Far will hook you right away. When I wrote my original review for this album they were: "Dance Anthem of the 80's", "Eet", "Human of the Year" and "Laughing With". I still love "Dance Anthem"; it's ridiculously infectious. I dare you not to like it. But some songs which were definitely not my favorites at first have grown on me and I see this album as a well-rounded and deep piece of musical art. Songs like "Blue Lips" and "Genius Next Door" have become more fulfilling with every listen. There were many great albums that came out in 2009, some may be fads, but I predict that Far will have long-lasting appeal.

2 comments:

Steve said...

It is indeed a great album, and I agree with you about "Blue Lips"; the song has a great sense of sophistication and sincerity. Regina's favourite colour, I suspect.

Kyle said...

Thanks for the comment Steve!