Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A little about Katie

I am currently a graduate student (as of yesterday!) in the beautiful city of Portland, Oregon. I was born and raised here in the Rose City but took a little hiatus to attend Whitworth College in Spokane, Washington and ended up staying there an extra year to figure out life. I ended up working at a newspaper writing obituaries, decided that wasn't my dream job, and moved back home.

Due to my mother's inability to explore music that was made after her high school and college years, I was raised on a steady stream of classic 70s: Fleetwood Mac, The Moody Blues, and The Eagles were constants, but other, less timeless artists, like Lobo, The Hues Corporation, K.C. & The Sunshine Band and many others also influenced my early years. My dad's tastes were a little more varied, and he introduced me to Billy Joel, R.E.M., Nirvana, Simply Red, and Chris Isaak. Although I still enjoy the music of my parents, I guess my taste in music these days would be classified somewhere in the indie/folk/acoustic/rock/alternative genres. I love finding new, unheard of bands. Though I usually gravitate there, I also really enjoy country and some R&B and soul. I am not a fan of death metal rock or hard core rap or polka.

I took piano lessons as a kid but quit after a year. I also learned to play several songs on the recorder. I now own a guitar but have no idea how to play it. I did sing in a choir for many years, though I was never a soloist, or even a duetist (that is not a word). Kyle says I should learn to the play the piano again, so I'm working on that. Until then, I have to get my musical fix by listening to others, which, luckily, doesn't take much skill.

No comments: