Thursday, October 30, 2008

Coming clean with Country...

As promised, I'm going to come clean in regards to Country music. If you haven't read our "A versus B sides" take on the genre, you can here.

Country has never been and probably never will be my favorite musical genre (or even one of my top ten), but if I'm being completely frank, as I've grown older I've come to enjoy and certainly appreciate country music more. For one, it's had an irrefutable and tremendous influence on some of my favorite rock artists (from CCR to the Eagles to Dave Matthews Band). The triumph of human achievement that is Rock n' Roll wouldn't be the same without country and I'm grateful for that (grateful enough not to quote the Donny and Marie Osmond song). For two, as Katie pointed out, it's lyrics can be just as dreadful as anything in pop or rock music, but they can also be as poignant. Personally, as long as the lyrics aren't painfully stupid, I can enjoy a little Shania Twain or Faith Hill, which is probably more pop-country, but it still says "country" on the CD. It'll never touch Rock in my opinion, but for me, it's a fun diversion.

No comments: