Wednesday, October 8, 2008

A versus B-sides: Country Music


What is "A versus B-sides"?
"A versus B-sides" posts will feature two sides of a musical debate, written by Katie and Kyle and then open to you (the public) for further discussion. The views we represent may not be what we actually believe, but in a later post we'll come clean and let you know how we really feel; for now, we just want to represent and hear from both sides. In this first "A versus B-sides" we will take on Country Music!

Kyle's Perspective: Anti-Country
I can’t count how many times I’ve heard someone say: “I like all types of music except rap and country”. Now, for one, I’ve yet to be persuaded that rap is music and two, I don’t believe anyone who says “I like all types of music” because they obviously did not consider polka. The third part, however, intrigues me. Why is country singled out time and again? I even saw a discussion on debate.com titled “which is worse for our society: rap or country music?”.

Let’s start with the obvious: the lyrics of country music paint about as big a target for its detractors as anything could. Just listen to Kenny Chesney’s “She Thinks My Tractor‘s Sexy”. Its chorus goes like this: “she thinks my tractor‘s sexy; it really turns her on; she‘s always starin‘ at me; while I‘m chuggin‘ along; she likes the way it's pullin' while we're tillin' up the land; she's even kinda crazy 'bout my farmer's tan”. If country fans and musicians are offended at being called hillbillies, they have to stop writing lyrics like this. Or Neal McCoy‘s “Billy‘s got his beer goggles on”. Tractors and beer goggles… pretty impressive stuff.

It’s also the only genre of music where singing through your nose is considered good. Country music has little to no variety; songs are either crocodile tear ballads or over-the-top honky-tonk. There’s no experimentation with instruments; unless you consider the washboard one. And for all intents and purposes I think it’s safe to say there’s zero ethnic diversity in country music. In my opinion, all of this suggests country music is more of a subgenre than a major genre of music (in terms of diversity of sound and form), along the lines of Celtic or ska. I respect the old country musicians (like Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson), but today’s country is so overblown and ridiculous (“Suds in the bucket“), it’s hard to take seriously, yet alone respect.

Katie's Perspective: Pro-Country
While I understand (and have heard from many people) Kyle's argument against country, I would argue that his poor opinion of country music is based on an incomplete understanding of the genre.

Yes, there is bad country music. Yes, some country music lyrics are "hillbilly," such as "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy" (which I must confess I like). However, if we throw out country music because some country songs have stupid lyrics, there are a whole lot of other music genres we will simply have to do away with. For example, because Katy Perry releases a song where she "kissed a girl and liked it" because of "the taste of her cherry chapstick," must we also throw out similar sounding female pop artists like Lily Allen or Adele, who have intelligent lyrics? Just as there are bad and good pop lyrics, there are bad and good country lyrics. In addition to songs about tractors, we have songs about love and loss, pain and joy. One of my favorite Garth Brooks songs is "Standing Outside the Fire," and one of the verses says, "We call them weak who are unable to resist, the slightest chance love might exist and for that forsake it all." I promise it doesn't mention tractors, and it's passionate and beautiful.

Also, to say that country music has no variety is simply not true. Yes, we have honky-tonk and beer goggles. But we also have classic country (aka Merle Haggard or Johnny Cash), bluegrass (aka Alison Krauss and Union Station or the newest Dixie Chicks album), country-pop/the Nashville sound (aka Rascal Flatts and Taylor Swift), and plenty of variety in between. If you turned to a country station and really listened, instead of changing the station as soon as you hear a bit of twang, you would hear that there is great diversity in sound.

Ultimately, I know I can't change anyone's mind. For some reason, some people will just firmly reject any song that their iTunes labels as "country." However, if you're open to at least giving country a try, I'd like to suggest a few songs:
  • "Whiskey Lullaby" - Brad Paisley and Alison Krauss (from Paisley's album, Mud on the Tires): Whether you like country or not, I hope you'll recognize that Krauss' voice is absolutely stunning. The voices and instrumention are mournful but beautiful, and this is one of those songs I can listen to over and over again.
  • "Not Ready to Make Nice" - The Dixie Chicks (from The Long Way Around): This song is the band's response to the backlash they experienced after the "He's not my president" comment. It's a powerful and angry ballad.
  • "Long Black Train" - Josh Turner (from an album by the same name): If you claim to like Johnny Cash, I challenge you to listen to Turner. He carries on in the tradition of Cash. His voice is deep and mournful, and this gospel-influenced, guitar-plucking track channels the man in black.

3 comments:

IV said...

I appreciate your willingness to address the question. I am afraid I have to side with Katie on this one. I hated country music at first, but as the years went by and I was living in a very rural mountain town, it became a part of who I am. I appreciate its diversity in topic and some have excellent stories. I would refer you to a Dec. 2006 special report in The Economist for a very interesting commentary on country music.

Matthew Moore said...

I wouldn't say I'm a fan of country music as a whole. I've grown out of my "all country sucks" ideas, and really enjoy some country songs. Whiskey Lullaby is a beautiful song, from brad Paisley who also sings a hilarious song about alcohol. Its too funny not to like, and aptly titles "Alcohol."

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.