Thursday, October 9, 2008

Have You Heard of...

I've been listening to Eric Hutchinson since about June. I first heard his single "Rock & Roll" on my favorite Spokane radio station's New Music Monday program. I instantly fell in love. So, I looked him up on Pandora, listened to a few more songs, and stopped at Best Buy on my way home from work that day to buy his album, Sounds Like This. These days, it can be a difficult decision to purchase a full album. So often there are only a few tracks worth listening to, but that was not the case with Sounds.

Besides the perky "Rock & Roll," which I dare you to listen to without wanting to dance (see video below), my favorite track on the album might be "You Don't Have to Believe Me," where he tries to convince a woman she deserves to be treated with respect. Here, Hutchinson really lets loose. Although, I also love the album opener, "Ok, It's Alright With Me," which also makes me want to dance. A lot. On heavily piano influenced tracks like "It Hasn't Been Long Enough" Eric reminds me a bit of a rock and roll Michael Buble or Jamie Cullum. Honestly, though, there isn't a song I don't like.

I just found out that I missed Hutchinson when he was in Portland a few days ago for a charity show. However, he'll be back in Portland (and Spokane and surrounding cities) in November. Check out his website for tour dates and other info.

1 comment:

Kyle said...

Even though it's been a while since this post I figured I should say I downloaded this album after listening to "Rock & Roll" and "Oh!" many times. I concur, there isn't a song on this album not worth listening to. For me, Eric's sound kind of reminds me of Stevie Wonder, but I can see Jamie Cullum too. "Ok, It's Alright With Me" is a great, catchy opener. And I also really like "Outside Villanova". Awesome recommendation Katie.