Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Have You Heard...

I've been wanting to write a post about Justin Nozuka for awhile now. I stumbled across his music, thanks to Pandora, about a month ago and just bought his album Holly on iTunes about a week ago. The first song I heard, "After Tonight" (which I have posted the video of below), had me hooked, but at first I was afraid Justin might be one of those artists where I love one song but am left less than impressed by the rest of the album. After listening to a few more songs on Pandora and sampling the whole album on iTunes, I decided to go for the whole thing, and I'm glad I did.

I've heard Justin compared to Jason Mraz, and although I didn't hear it at first, I think there is a resemblance. There is a fluttery and almost stuttering quality to Nozuka's voice at times that reminds me of Mraz, especially on "After Tonight" and the album opener, "Down in a Cold Dirty Well." I also think he at times sounds a bit like Eric Hutchinson, though more on the soul and bluesy side and less on the jazzy side. His lyrics are heart rending at times ("Mr. Therapy Man" and "Save Him"), which fits his powerfully emotive voice.

The whole album is available for $7.99 on iTunes, and I'd definitely recommend it. If you can't get the whole thing, my other recommendations (besides the tracks mentioned above) are "Criminal" and "Be Back Soon." Also, check out Justin's website. He just recently did some tour throughout the Northwest, but hopefully he'll come back again soon.

after tonight - justin nozuka

No comments: