Wednesday, December 10, 2008

At long last...Newton Faulkner!


Ages ago I posted about the Ingrid Michaelson concert in Portland and promised to post soon about one of her opening acts, Newton Faulkner.

Then finals happened. Not having been a student in a while, I'd forgotten how all-consuming finals week can be. In case you've forgotten too, let me remind you: finals eat your life.

Thankfully, just moments ago, I finished writing my final paper (hurrah!) and am now officially on Christmas break. So, without further ado, here are my thoughts on an artist I think you all should check out: Newton Faulkner.

When Newton first walked out on the stage (after David Ford, before Ingrid), I was a little skeptical. I promise I don't have anything against people with dreadlocks. It was probably more that my feet were starting to hurt at this point, and I was just eager for Ingrid to start. Despite my initial skepticism, I was quickly won over by Newton's beautiful voice and unique guitar skills.

His website explains it like this: Newton plays the guitar with a "distinctive tap-pick-and-strum technique that allows him to use the instrument as guitar, bass and drums all at once." At one point during the show, my boyfriend leaned over and asked, "He isn't actually playing the guitar is he?" His technique is truly unlike anything I've ever seen before and results in sounds coming out of the guitar that I never knew were possible. Without seeing him live, it's hard to fully appreciate what I'm talking about, but I think you can hear it a little on the beautiful track, "I Need Something."

I Need Something - Newton Faulkner

Besides being talented, the British singer-songwriter is quirky, something I particularly look for in new favorite artists. He has a particularly odd song called "UFO," and at the Wonder Ballroom he performed an impressive cover of Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody."

The video below is for "Dream Catch Me," the lead single on his 2008 album Hand Built by Robots. If you haven't heard it on the radio yet, I'm guessing you will soon.

Dream Catch Me - Newton Faulkner

No comments: