Tuesday, January 20, 2009

O.A.R. and Eric Hutchinson at the Knitting Factory


When I saw that O.A.R. and Eric Hutchinson were coming together to the Knitting Factory, I thought what a perfect match: both upbeat, energetic acts that borrow from a range of similar genres (rock, jazz, soul, funk). And it would be a great chance for Eric to make fans of some of the O.A.R. crowd. My only disappointment with the concert was that Eric was unaccompanied by a band. He switched between guitar and piano, playing most of his debut album Sounds Like This, however I must admit, it was difficult for me to get into some of the songs without percussion or bass or backup vocals. Stripped down, some of the songs like "You Don't Have to Believe Me" and "Rock & Roll" just weren't as catchy or energetic (if I'd had a tambourine with me, I'd have started playing). "OK, It's Alright With Me" and "Oh!" fared a little better under the acoustic conditions. Eric is without a doubt a talented musician and songwriter and having heard his music before, I enjoyed the performance but I couldn't help but feeling the crowd didn't get to hear all he has to offer.

The last time I saw O.A.R. was four years ago when they opened for Dave Matthews Band at the Gorge (also a good match). I know they'd been performing many years prior to that, but they still seemed a little inexperienced (at least compared to DMB) and they had to stop their song "Love and Memories" and start over. Rest assured, four years later they were one of the most polished, energetic and crowd-pleasing acts I've seen. Songs like "City on Down" and "Black Rock" sounded simultaneously familiar and impromptu - both virtues for a jam band. "That Was a Crazy Game of Poker" was phenomenal. Richard On's guitar solos and Chris Culos' ability to lay down a range of tempos and beats were most impressive to me. Marc Roberge's vocals soared and Benj Gershman's basswork was steady. And it wouldn't be fair of me not to mention Jerry DePizzo who got the loudest response from the crowd during every saxaphone solo. I would've liked to hear a couple more songs from their later albums (though I know I'm in the minority here), but since the concert had zero duds, I can't complain.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting what you've said about Hutchinson, Kyle. I had the same experience when I saw Mat Kearney play a couple years ago. He left his band at home and stuck with his guitar and then a keyboard for the whole show and it just wasn't quite up to par compared to what was on his album.

Speaking of Mat Kearney, I am seriously waiting for a new album. I think its been like 3 years since his debut!!

Kyle said...

Funny you mentioned Mat Kearney, because I felt the same way about him - saw him open for the Fray a few years back and wasn't very impressed. As a result I didn't get his album until last year but was pleasantly surprised by how good it was and how non-representative of the album "Nothing Left to Lose" was. Yes, it'd be great if he came out with some new material soon.

Katie said...

Aww, yeah, that's a bummer about the lack of a band. Kind of reminds me a little of Ben Lee opening for Ben Folds. I love him but felt so bad when he would "bring out the band" aka his iPod. :) Hopefully Eric will get to do a tour of his own sometime soon and can bring the whole band. Glad to hear O.A.R. didn't disappoint!