Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Top 10 Songs From Movie Soundtracks

With the Academy Awards coming up, I thought it would be fitting to blog about my favorite songs from movies. Some of these tracks come from albums that function as one beautiful compilation that both enhances the film it accompanied but also stands alone (i.e. the Garden State soundtrack, which continues to be one of my favorite albums). None of them are from current Oscar nominees (mostly because I have seen very few of the noms), and in order to get my list down to ten, I've excluded songs from musicals (I somewhat cheated on the inclusion of Once, which I guess it technically a musical. Because it's not really a traditional musical and because the music is so incredibly beautiful, I chose to include it) or television soundtracks.

1. El Salvador - Athlete (from The Last Kiss)
2. Sleep - Azure Ray (from The Devil Wears Prada)
3. If You Want Me - Glen Hansard & Markéta Irglová (from Once)
4. New Slang - The Shins (from Garden State)
5. The Call - Regina Spektor (from The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian)
6. De usuahia a la quiaca - Gustavo Santaolalla (from The Motorcycle Diaries)
7. Moonlight Kiss - Bap Kennedy (from Serendipity)
8. Hallelujah - Rufus Wainwright (from Shrek)
9. Anyone Else But You - The Moldy Peaches (from Juno)
10. Come Pick Me Up - Ryan Adams (from Elizabethtown)

I know ten doesn't cover the amount of great music from soundtracks. What are some more great movie songs?

Bonus: I have seen one of the Oscar nominees, Slumdog Millionaire, which, coincidentally, is nominated for both Best Music, Score and Best Music, Song. My particular favorite from the album is the peaceful and lullaby-esque "Latika's Theme." Enjoy!

Latikas Theme - A.R. Rahman

No comments: