Friday, January 30, 2009

thoughts for the weekend...

I love the classics (classical music, classic rock, oldies, all of them), but there's something to be said for entirely new music and the music of our generation. Newly released music is the only music you can be sure you haven't heard before. The rest you may think you haven't heard before, but with the proliferation of music in film and television, advertisements, events, stores, the radio... how can you be sure? I still meet people who will say "Queen? David Bowie? I don't know any of their songs." And I'll play for them "Another One Bites The Dust" and "Changes" and "Under Pressure" and of course, they'll recognize them immediately. The same thing will happen to me when I tune into the oldies or classic rock station on the radio - songs will sounds vaguely familiar, but I won't remember consciously listening to them - it's almost like a musical deja vu. And when I surf iTunes I listen to some new from the last year or so, but who knows where I might have heard that before? The Gap? Starbucks? Listening to brand new music no one else has heard before is cool, but even cooler (imo) is listening to new music I know I haven't heard before. Like the song "1, 2, 3, 4" I heard on the radio today by Plain White T's.

No comments: