Monday, February 2, 2009

My New Favorite Genre: New Zealand Folk Parody

Maybe I've been living in a cave, but I hadn't heard of Flight of the Conchords until a couple days ago (thanks, Jenn!). Once I was enlightened, I spent a good couple hours watching clips of their tv show (which is in its second season on HBO) and live performances. The Grammy award-winning comedic duo is made up of New Zealand natives Bret McKenzie and Jermaine Clement. They drescribe themselves as "Formerly New Zealand's fourth most popular guitar-based digi-bongo acapella-rap-funk-comedy folk duo."

They've released two studio albums and have a BBC radio series that began in 2004.

Also, they're just plain hilarious. The clip below is of them performing their song "Hiphopopotamus vs. Rhymenoceros." If you want more, there's plenty on Youtube to keep you busy for a long, long time.


1 comment:

Kyle said...

Yup, it's 3:30 am and I'm scouring kharmonious for posts I may have missed and happened upon this one... very, very funny (perhaps partially because I'm sleep-deprived). I watched "Business Time" after "Hiphopopotamus vs. Rhymenoceros". Funny guys. Thanks for the post Katie!