Tuesday, October 21, 2008

10 Colorful Songs



Confession: I have been working on this top 10 list for about a week now. The problem hasn't been an inability to come up with songs about colors; rather, I've discovered that there are just too many great songs. So, I'm listing my top 10, followed by the 10 runners up. Narrowing down to 20 is a pretty big accomplishment, considering my original iTunes playlist had about 70 songs.
Anyway, here are some of my favorite songs about colors:

1. Dave Matthews Band - Grey Street
2. Rocky Votolato - White Daisy Passing
3. The Beatles - Blackbird
4. Kira Willey - Colors (you may remember this one from that Dell commercial a while back)
5. Cary Brothers - Blue Eyes
6. Death Cab for Cutie - A Lack of Color
7. Priscilla Ahn - Red Cape
8. Coldplay - Green Eyes
9. Nickel Creek - Green and Gray
10. Alexi Murdoch - Orange Sky

And, the songs that didn't quite make the cut:
11. Barcelona - Colors
12. Jack's Mannequin - Dark Blue
13. Jeremy Fisher - Goodbye Blue Monday
14. Nick Drake - Pink Moon
15. Jonny Lang - Red Light
16. The Weepies - Just Blue
17. Johnny Cash - Long Black Veil
18. Iron & Wine - White Tooth Man
19. Cake - Pretty Pink Ribbon
20. Amos Lee - Colors

I'm sure I'm leaving a lot out. What are your favorites?

3 comments:

Matthew Moore said...

As much as I love all this new music I'm learning about...you can't ask questions like "what are you favorite color songs?" without making me go as crazy as I'm sure you were when trying to narrow it down to 20 :P

Off the top of my head..."folsom prison blues" (not quite color but it has blue in it so yea) by johnny cash and "blue orchid" by the white stripes is good too.

i hope you realize you've forced me to go pick over my 4300 songs for the rest of my colorful favorites...dah!

Matthew Moore said...

i also like "pink triangle" by weezer and "pink bullets" by the shins.

Kyle said...

awesome picture by the way, Google images? lots of songs here I haven't heard before, will have to check them out tonight...