Monday, October 20, 2008

Sara Bareilles at the Knitting Factory, Spokane


On my road trip to San Francisco this summer I got to spend the night in Eureka, California, the city where Sara Bareilles was born and raised. As a Spokanite, I realize I'm the pot calling the kettle black when I say Eureka wasn't very remarkable, but Sara Bareilles is remarkable - in fact, she's phenomenal and her live performance far surpassed anything on her CD (in this fan's humble opinion). For one, her voice was as flawless, passionate and controlled as it is on the best tracks from Little Voice. Songs like "Vegas" and "Come Round Soon" had more edge, "Love on the Rocks" had more energy and "City" (one of my personal favorites from the album and the concert) had more vigor, all with perfect-pitch. I also really appreciated the solo performance of "Fairytale" (with Sara on piano), reminding me that Sara doesn't need a band to make her sound good (but the band was fine, Javier on the lead guitar played some riffs that reminded me of John Mayer and for some reason there was an alien figurine on his amp). Sara also covered Feist's "I Feel It All" which was a fun break from the album.

Sara Bareilles is an amazing musician and if you haven't listened to the rest of Little Voice apart from "Love Song" and "Bottle It Up" (which are undeniably catchy), you owe it to yourself to - it is easily one of my favorite albums from 2007. She seemed down-to-earth and proclaimed herself as a feminist which means she rocks by my books.

No comments: