Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Album Review: The Fray


A couple weeks ago I posted about my dilemma regarding The Fray's new CD. Later that day I did indeed to decide to purchase the standard version on iTunes for $9.99. I had also posted my dilemma as my status on Facebook, and one friend wrote in response that she went for the deluxe version as $16.99. Apparently she was convinced by the videos. Having seen The Fray live twice and being quite sure that if I wanted to watch videos of the guys, I could probably find them on YouTube, I decided the extras on the deluxe album just weren't worth $7.

Originally, I was waiting to post a review until I had really given the album several good listens. I'd read plenty of reviews on iTunes and Amazon of fans who had loved How to Save a Life and were disappointed by The Fray. However, I had a feeling that this self-titled albums would be one of those that couldn't be judged on one listen, and I didn't want to dismiss the album just because it wasn't How to Save a Life. After waiting a few days, I got tremendously swamped and completely forgot about blogging for a bit...so, here's my very delayed review (for anyone who cares).

Ultimately, The Fray's second album is about what I expected it to be. I am neither as disappointed as some fans seem to be, nor am I blown away by this sophomore album. When there is a three and a half year span between albums, it becomes difficult not to get your hopes up for an album. With such a gap between releases, I really wanted The Fray to be even better than the first album, and I don't know that it's better. But I do still think that it's a solid album worth purchasing.

Yes, I do feel like I've heard some of this before--"Never Say Never" sounds like it could have been on How to Save a Life, with it's slowly building piano melody and catchy and repetitive chorus. Though the band stays on familiar ground for much of the album, on a few tracks they get a bit more experimental. "Ungodly Hour," features a haunting falsetto by guitarist Joe King (who also did the lead vocals on Life's "Heaven Forbid") and an uncharacteristic and beautiful guitar almost-solo. "Happiness," a song about the elusiveness and contradictions of being happy, which starts out mellow and whispery builds to a climax with a full choir backing Isaac Slade's vocals.

Basically, my verdict is that I will always love the sound of Isaac Slade's voice and the beautiful sound of The Fray. So, while their self-titled album may not be groundbreaking, it is a respectable sophomore album. Every time I listen to it, it grows on me a little more, and I remain excited to see what this band will do in the future.

Fave tracks: "Absolute," "Syndicate," "Ungodly Hour," and "Fair Fight."


1 comment:

Kyle said...

I care :-) and I may be getting some Fray songs a la carte tonight.