Thursday, April 2, 2009

Twitter, Twitterer, Tweet?


I signed up for a Twitter account a month or two ago and let it sit idle. Honestly, I was scared of it. I didn't know what to do with it. My understanding of Twitter was that it was like Facebook updates on speed. Finally, a program that lets me tell all my friends exactly what I'm doing every second of the day!

Personally, I found that a little narcissistic.

However, in the last couple weeks I've decided to give Twitter another shot. I've discovered that it has many uses beyond the one above. Because I'm into the publishing industry, I can follow Publisher's Weekly and Publisher's Lunch on Twitter. I can follow NPR and CNN and stay caught up on the headlines. And, best of all (and most applicable to this blog), I can find new music on Twitter. In addition to being able to follow the big music folk (MTV, CMA, etc), there is this great program called twtfm.

Twtfm is a great way to find new (and old music). It's basically just a venue for sharing music. It allows you to post streaming audio of your current musical obsession and lets you hear streaming audio of your friends' current musical obsessions. If you go to http://twt.fm/tracks, you can view a list of the most recently tweeted (I still can't really handle that it's calling tweeting...) songs. Check it out. Find some new music. Then join the Twitter bandwagon.

P.S. Even if I do use Twitter for legitimate things, I might still be guilty of a slightly narcissistic post now and again.

No comments: